Local Genealogy Indexes
Search our new genealogy database featuring:
- Obituaries (1904-1960; 1968-1969; 1983-present)
- Births - search by parent's names (1987-present)
- Marriages (1987-present)
- Divorces (1992-present)
- Cemeteries of La Crosse County, Wis.
Use the % sign to truncate your search, for example Hans%n if you're not sure if the spelling is Hanson or Hansen.
If you are using the cemetery browse feature, your monitor resolution will need to be set at least 1024 x 768 pixels in order to use the scroll bar.
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone (608) 789-7100.
To request copies, please follow these guidelines:
We would be happy to send you copies of these citations. Requests will be processed as staff time permits. The citation may not contain any further information than given here in this index.
Please be aware that older obituaries are sometimes brief and often did not include parents' names or place of birth, or even spouse's names. This is particularly true if the deceased was not from La Crosse County. Births from the paper do not contain photographs or baby’s first names.
Divorces case files may be obtained from the La Crosse County Clerk of Courts office, provided the divorce was handled in a La Crosse County, Wisconsin, court.
We don't have any more information for cemetery data other than what is found below, but you can contact the cemetery office directly as they may have more information.
To request copies, please follow these directions:
1. Prepare Your List
For each citation, include the person's name, date of obituary, newspaper name and page number. A print-out of your search results page sorted by report date works well for this.
2. Self-Addressed, Stamped Envelope
• Up to five copies can easily fit into a standard sized business envelope. For up to five obituaries, include a self-addressed business sized long envelope affixed with 75 cents postage. International orders should please include an additional $2.50 in U. S. funds with their request to cover postage.
• For more than five obituaries include a 10” x 13” self-addressed flat envelope affixed with $3.00 postage. International orders should please include an additional $7.50 in U. S. funds to cover postage.
• We will not email copies of obituaries.
• If you are a Wisconsin resident AND the copies are going to a Wisconsin address, please include a check or money order in U. S. funds, payable to the La Crosse Public Library. The cost is 25 cents per copy.
• If you are an out-of-state or international customer, please include a check or money order in U. S. funds, payable to the La Crosse Public Library. The cost is $1 per copy.
• Sorry, we cannot accept credit card payments.
• Feel free to add a donation if you wish. Your added donations are genuinely appreciated and help to preserve our local history materials and further our cause to help you!
4. Send your request to:
La Crosse Public Library
Archives & Local History
800 Main Street
La Crosse, WI 54601-4122
We would appreciate any donations to help maintain this service.
Thank you for your interest in the La Crosse Public Library!
For corrections and questions, contact the La Crosse Public Library Archives at email@example.com or call (608) 789-7100.
Except for the cemetery information, most data is from the La Crosse Tribune. If someone died in Wisconsin between 1959-1997, we have a separate index where we can find a death date.