Loan Periods and Fines
Find out how long you can keep materials, and how much you'll have to pay us if you keep your stuff too long.
Getting a Library Card
Wisconsin Residents and Property Owners. A free card is issued to Wisconsin residents who present identification and proof of current address. You will be issued a card after filling out a brief application form. If you do not live in Wisconsin but own property within the state, you are also eligible for a free card. You must provide documentation of ownership (property tax bill, mortgage, etc.) at the time of application. Children aged 16 and under must have a parent or guardian sign and approve their applications.
Library cards will be replaced once free of charge. A $5 charge will be levied for additional replacements.
Out-Of-State Residents and Non-resident Local College Students. Library cards are available to out-of-state residents for a fee, equivalent to average annual property taxes paid by a resident of La Crosse.
- $10 for one month
- $50 for six months
- $90 for one year
- $35 for a non-resident student (please note: a current student I.D. is required to obtain this card)
Seasonal Residents, Visiting Professionals, People in Transition. For individuals who cannot provide proof of current address or property ownership within the state of Wisconsin, the library offers a short-term card with limited privileges. A short term card is issued for three months and limits the number of items to be checked out to five. This card allows access to the Internet. Some form of identification is required, such as an out-of-state driver's license, a Social Security card, or a letter of support from a supporting agency.
A computer-only card is available to Minnesota residents and others who are ineligible for other library privileges, but who are in need of computer and internet access.
Special note: due to cost and licensing issues, certain online resources may not be available to non-residents of the City of La Crosse.
Your WRLSWEB Library Responsibilities
- Any library materials checked out on a card are your sole responsibility of that cardholder.
- Users will promptly return all borrowed items by the due date or pay overdue charges.
- Users will pay any replacement costs assessed for lost, unreturned or damaged items.
- Users will not lend their library card to others.
- Users will promptly report any change in contact information.
- Users will promptly report a lost or stolen card.
- Users will obey the rules of behavior when visiting the library.
- If signing a library card application for a juvenile, the users accepts responsibility for fines and charges on the child’s card and acknowledge that it is the guardian’s responsibility, not the library’s, to monitor and approve the child’s choice of materials and/or other information resources.
- Failure to act responsibly may result in the suspension of library borrowing and use privileges, and that failure to pay library fines or return materials may result in local and state criminal penalties.
- WRLSWEB library card holders agree to comply with the policies of each member library with which they do business.