Career and Employment Information
We have the resources to help.
Computer/Technical Skills Brush up
New User Tutorial
Mouse Tutorial for the Absolute Beginner
More Mouse Practice
Keyboarding Practice This website can get you familiar with a computer keyboard and help you increase your speed.
TypingMaster.com (Funded by and available to city of La Crosse residents)
Improve your keyboarding skills with drills and practice on this interactive website. You will need to create an account the first time you log on, but then the website tracks your progress.
Interview Brush up
Job Interview Questions
Resources @ La Crosse Public Library
O*Net helps make occupational information interactive and accessible for all. You can search for occupations by exploring the list provided, or search by occupational skills, or search for related occupations to the one you have selected. Results can be displayed in two ways: a snapshot or detailed report (that gives the specifics on your selected occupation).
Learning Express Library is an interactive online learning platform featuring over 770 practice tests, tutorials, and e-books related to job search and workplace skills improvement. Step-by-step, easy-to-use resume and cover letter creation. Practice exams for career certification and licensing exam preparation, college entrance and graduate school admissions. GED exam preparation (both in English & Spanish) and basic skills improvement in reading, writing and math for all ages. You'll get immediate scoring, complete answer explanations, and an individualized analysis of your results. Please be aware that as of January 3, 2014, LearningExpress will be moving to a new platform. They promise improved functionality and interesting new features, but you will need to create a new free account after January 3, and your progress will not track from the old system to the new. Funded by and available to Wisconsin residents.
Occupational Outlook Handbook (371.425 UN3O) provides a personal look to a particular career, by describing what a person does on the job, the work conditions, training and education, earnings, and expected job prospects.
Browse both nonfiction checkout and the special reference areas for:
- resume, cover letter, interviewing books (650.14 area)
- wage and salary surveys (331.2 area)
exploring job choices (331.702 area)
Encyclopedia of Careers and Vocational Guidance – 5-volume set located in the Reference area
Newspapers such as Chicago Tribune, Eau Claire Leader-Telegram, Rochester Post-Bulletin, and Wisconsin State Journal can be found on the main floor of the library. Browse the classified ads for current job listings.
- Career One Stop Your one stop for career information. Sponsored by the Department of Labor.
The Occupational Outlook Handbook (371.425 UN3O) provides a personal look to a particular career, describing what a person does on the job, the work conditions, training and education, earnings, and expected job prospects.
Resumes & Cover Letters
- Job Hunters Bible: Resumes This section of the Job Hunters web site provides advice on how to write a resume, where to post your resume, and help if you get tongue-tied in interviews.
- Jobstar provides information about what a resume is, where to post your electronic resume when you are done, sample cover letters, and articles comparing good and bad resumes. Also lists other web sites to find additional resume resources on the Internet.
- La Crosse Tribune Search the job ads by keyword or category.
- Job Center of Wisconsin contains current job opportunities that employers have listed with the Wisconsin Job Service. You can also find information on Opportunity Grants, Job Fairs, Labor Market Information, Unemployment Insurance and more here.
- LaCrosseCareerLink.com La Crosse area job search and jobs posting. Offers free resume posting. Partnered with radio & TV outlets, you may have heard this site ad on the radio.
- State of Wisconsin Employment Job Seekers can search for job postings based upon job title or employer name and browse job postings by job category. Employers can post job openings throughout Wisconsin on Wisconsin.gov at no cost.
- State of Wisconsin Government jobs Search job postings of employment opportunities in the Wisconsin Civil Service, including classified positions with the University of Wisconsin, selected city and county positions. This site provides Wisconsin Civil Service application materials in Adobe Portable Document Format (PDF) for job seekers to download.
- Wisconsin Jobnetwork is comprised of 30+ employment Web sites focusing exclusively on local communities in the State of Wisconsin.
- MinnesotaWorks.net find the right job for you in the state of Minnesota and employers find quality workers.
- Minnesota Merit System provides access to civil service job openings in the social services and human services agencies for most Minnesota counties. Information about taking the employment exams and filing out job applications is also available.
- Careers in Government dedicated to matching qualified individuals with challenging careers in government and the public sector. You will have access to thousands of public sector employer job listings, agency profiles, resume postings, and job search tailoring to ensure your profile matches the best agencies.
- USAJobs searches for U.S. government job openings at a state level, national level, or international level. Choose a category and start searching for government employment categories.
- Monster is the granddaddy of all the employment web sites. It provides employment opportunities for a wide range of jobs in the United States and worldwide. Includes information about career planning and other career tools. There is a place to submit an online resume and information on upcoming seminars.
- Snag a Job A leading online resource for people in search of part-time and hourly employment.
- Indeed One search, all jobs.
- Best Jobs in the USA is a good place to search for employment opportunities and to post an online resume.
- The Career Journal can be searched for a wide variety of employment opportunities. Includes articles about employment, salaries, job advice, etc.
- Career Builder provides job opportunities in a wide range of occupation fields from general to technical employment.
Freelance - Online Jobs
- Elance is an online job auction site, where job seekers compete for projects by showcasing their skills, and offering the lowest price. Users post resumes and can bid on work projects, from marketing to programming to design.
- oDesk a freelance site for skilled professionals. oDesk enables buyers of services to hire, manage, and pay technology service providers from around the world.
- Guru provides businesses with an efficient platform to connect and perform transactions with freelance professionals locally, nationally, and globally.
- Helium is the world's largest community of writers. Writers earn money and establish credibility by publishing articles on Helium, securing writing assignments with publishers, and competing in writing contests.
last updated 7/13 by Pam Gleason