Who's Up There?
Whether you know us as Information, the Reference Desk or as just "the people upstairs," it all translates into expert help when you need information. During our open hours, you can get help in person, by phone, email and instant messaging. If you're looking for information while we're closed, check out our subject pages for links to online library resources and external websites that we have reviewed and use frequently.
Top Ten Reasons to Climb the Stairs to Reference
|10. It's only one floor, so you don't need a sherpa or oxygen .|
|9. Pssst. There's an elevator, too.|
|8. Contrary to popular belief, the 2nd floor is not "The Place Where Fun Goes to Die."|
|7. If you do all your browsing and check-out from first floor collections, you'll find 10x as much material upstairs.|
|6. There are lots of carrels to spread out your work and plug in your laptop.|
|5. Take a look at the gallery. Artwork displays change every month.|
|4. You can make copies upstairs if the photocopier downstairs is busy. Scanning is available on our photocopier upstairs.|
|3. Find a quiet corner to read or research.|
|2. Hey, you might run into someone you know up here.|
|1. You may not be able to climb a mountain to discover the meaning of life, but you can come upstairs for a window on the world!|
While you are on the second floor
You will find:
Experienced, resourceful, and friendly reference staff.
Special sections and collections.
Reference staff are responsible for selecting circulating nonfiction materials - we know the collection and can help you find just what you need.
Resources to help when you can't find what you need in the Winding Rivers Library System (WRLS) shared catalog. We can help you locate materials outside of WRLS through Interlibrary Loan via WISCAT, the state of Wisconsin shared library catalog.
How we use technology
- Bring in your own laptop. Free WiFi available.
- There are over 40 public access computers including laptops that you can check out and use in the library. Microsoft Office 2007 is currently used on our public computers.
- When the library is closed, you can still find information from one of the many online resources available from our website.
- Instant messaging reference. When we are open, you can ask for help using Meebo IM from our home page.
- We can help you with some of your basic technology questions and show you how to use our online resources. (Ask about technology training opportunities)
We are always looking for ways to connect to local events in the community and create partnerships.