"How I Spent My Summer Vacation" Digital Photography Contest
June 14-September 5, 2017
Share your digital summer vacation photos in our all-ages digital photography contest! Whether you'll be traveling the world, visiting local festivals, or just hanging out in your backyard, we want to see how you're spending your summer. Submit your digital photos to email@example.com. See below for full contest rules and submission guidelines.
- Photographs must be taken by the submitter.
- Please no more than a total of three photos per submitter during the contest.
- Photographs will be accepted in digital form only and must be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Photographs must be taken between June 14-September 5, 2017.
- Photographs must be submitted by Noon on Tuesday, September 5, 2017.
- We respectfully ask that professional photographers refrain from entering.
- La Crosse Public Library staff members and their immediate families are not eligible to enter.
- Contest entrants will retain the right to their images but grant the La Crosse Public Library permission to use the photo(s) on Facebook, on the La Crosse Public Library website, on public displays within the La Crosse Public Library, and in La Crosse Public Library promotional materials.
- When sharing photo submissions on Facebook, on the La Crosse Public Library website, or on public displays within the La Crosse Public Library, we reserve the right to identify the photo by the first name and age/grade (if submitted) of the photographer. If you wish to remain anonymous to the public or wish to be identified by a nickname, please clearly state your desire to do so with your photo submission.
- Photographers are responsible for obtaining permission of any person(s) photographed or of any owner of private property photographed. We reserve the right to remove photographs from the competition if requested by the person(s) within a photo or by the owners of private property contained in a photo.
- Photos must be appropriate for a public audience.
- Photographs taken by minors under the age of 18 should be submitted by the parent or legal guardian with expressed parental/legal guardian permission to participate.
Photo Submission Guidelines
- The contest is free... no entry fee.
- Photographs will be accepted in digital form only.
- We ask for a minimum resolution of 1200 x 1500 pixels at 300 dpi.
- Image resolution should be high enough for a print size of 8 x 10, but please try to keep the submitted file size for each photo no larger than 4 MB.
- Normal digital enhancements for elements such as lighting and contrast are acceptable, but images with overt digital manipulation will not be considered.
- Photos should relate to the contest theme of "How I Spent My Summer Vacation."
- Photos must be submitted to email@example.com.
- Please include your first and last name and a way to contact you (address, email and/or phone number).
- If you wish to be considered for our Honorable Mention categories, please include your age or school grade you will be entering.
Judging and Award Categories
- Prizes will be awarded for First Place, Second Place, Third Place and People's Choice. Honorable Mentions will be given based on age category: Youth (students entering Pre K-5th Grade), Teen (students entering 6th-12th Grade), Adult (ages 18-49), Senior (50 and better). Contest winners will be announced at Noon on Wednesday, September 13, 2017.
- Contestants who submit more than one photo (no more than three photos total) will only be eligible to win one prize total.
- Finalists for First Place, Second Place, and Third Place will be selected by a jury of La Crosse Public Library staff based on overall quality (composition, use of lighting, visual impact) and how well the photo fits the contest theme of "How I Spent My Summer Vacation." The three finalists will be shared in a Contest Finalists gallery on Facebook on Wednesday, September 6, 2017. The photo within the Contest Finalists gallery that receives the most likes on Facebook by Noon on Tuesday, September 12, 2017 will be named First Place, with Second and Third Places chosen by the second and third most likes on Facebook.
- Submitted photos will be shared on Facebook every Wednesday at Noon while the contest is running. Photos will be added to a Digital Photography Contest gallery on the La Crosse Public Library Facebook page the Wednesday following the date of their submission. The photo, exempting the three chosen finalists, that receives the most total likes on the La Crosse Public Library Facebook page by Noon on September 5, 2017 will be named the People's Choice winner. We encourage contestants to look for their photos on the La Crosse Public Library Facebook page and share them with their Facebook friends in order to get as many likes on their photo(s) as possible.
- Photos that are not selected as a finalist or named the People's Choice winner will be considered for our Honorable Mention categories, as long as the submitter has identified their age or school grade with their photo submission. Honorable Mentions will be selected by library staff from Youth Services (Youth and Teen), Adult Services (Adults 18-49), and Senior Programming (50 and better).
- First Place: $50 Downtown Mainstreet gift certificate
- Second Place: $40 Downtown Mainstreet gift certificate
- Third Place: $30 Downtown Mainstreet gift certificate
- People's Choice: $20 Downtown Mainstreet gift certificate
- Honorable Mention: $10 gift certificate to the Friends of the Library Book Sales
- Winning photos will be printed out and displayed in the lobby of the La Crosse Public Library from September 18, 2017-October 15, 2017. Contest winners will receive their printed photos after October 15, 2017.
Get a head start on the competition at the library's upcoming computer classes:
Manage Your Digital Photos (Windows)
Tuesday, June 20 from 10 AM-12 PM
La Crosse Public Library Training Room, 800 Main Street
Learn how to get your digital camera's pictures onto the computer and sorted into folders. Find out how to save Facebook pictures and hear about different popular options for printing your digital photos. Bring your charged digital camera, any related cords, and a flash drive if you have one. (Flash drives will also be available for checkout or purchase.) To register, please call (608) 789-7122.
Introduction to Pixlr: Basic Photo Editing
Thursday, June 22 from 10 AM-12 PM
La Crosse Public Library Training Room, 800 Main Street
Learn the basics of editing digital photos using the powerful web-based photo editing tool Pixlr. This class will teach you how to resize your images, use basic touch up tools, add text to photos, create an image from scratch, use filters to change the look of your image, and more. This class will focus on learning through experimenting and is open to all skill levels. To register, please call (608) 789-7122.