You are here
First Annual Record Award Competition
The La Crosse Public Library is pleased to announce the first annual Record Award competition for artists. The winning entry will be reproduced on a 10’ x 10’ banner and displayed for one year on the southern façade of the La Crosse Public Library Main location as shown below.
Our goal is to promote the work of local artists (one per year) in conjunction with our diversity and inclusion banners in the hope of fostering an increased sense of community, engaging new ideas, and promoting understanding, reading and learning.
The LPL will be responsible for all promotion, publicity, and advertising.
We welcome submissions from artists of any background who are residents of La Crosse County.
Participation is open to any interested artist age 18 or older as of August 1, 2018.
Work may be submitted by individuals or groups. If work created is a collaboration of multiple artists, the group must submit one application listing all participating artists.
Submissions may be the work of an employee of the La Crosse Public Library.
All artwork submitted must be original, completed within the last two years, and must neither be used as coursework for a degree-seeking program, nor be entered in other contests or exhibitions.
- A written proposal (either Word document or PDF) that contains the following elements:
- Name (first and last)
- Phone number
- Physical address including street, city, and zip code
- Artist biography & statement, including a little information about yourself and your artistic interests, goals and motivations. Describe the reason why you hope to display your artwork as part of the Record Award competition, and how your work demonstrates the Record Award’s theme of inclusion, sense of community, reading and learning. (Limit: 500 words)
- One digital image saved in either .ai or .eps format, Vector art with the text converted to outlines
.jpeg at the highest possible resolution. We recommend that the original piece be at least 3’x3’. REMINDER: the winning piece will be enlarged to a 10’ x 10’ size.
It is the artist’s responsibility to submit their work in such a way to ensure that image integrity will not be lost as a result.
File size should not exceed 5MB.
- Email your proposal with the digital image attached to firstname.lastname@example.org; any questions about the contest should be directed to email@example.com or call 608-789-7123.
- You will receive email confirmation of receipt within 72 hours of submission.
The final selected piece will become the property of the La Crosse Public Library to be used to generate future prints and reproductions in pamphlets, posters, press releases, and other formats.
Your work will be reviewed by the city Arts Board, or a committee of same, who will select one piece to exhibit for one year. The winner will be contacted via email and receive a $1000 cash prize. The winner will also be announced on the library’s Facebook page.
The selected artist’s work will be reproduced on a 10’ x 10’ banner displayed on the southern façade of the main library from April 8, 2019 – April 7, 2020.
Please read Official Rules before sending your submission.