You are here
The La Crosse County Law Library is a service of the La Crosse Public Library and funded, in part, by the County of La Crosse. Resources are housed in the Reference Department at Main. Users are responsible for understanding and interpreting the materials. While library staff will help you navigate the resources, they cannot give legal advice or opinions.
Additional resources: 2 simultaneous log-ins to WestLaw; 40 internet computers; printer (.10); one dedicated law laptop; free, unrestricted wifi access; photocopier; scanner (to email or USB); fee-based fax machine.
(Funded by La Crosse Public Library unless otherwise noted.)
- Wisconsin Statutes
- Callaghan’s Wisconsin Reports –Current 5 years
- United States Code – 2006 edition
- United States Statutes at Large – most current; older editions are in closed stacks.
- United States Reports – latest five volumes; older editions are in closed stacks.
- Wisconsin Administrative Code
- Nolo Books –Consumer-oriented titles to check out.
- State of Wisconsin CLE books:
- Contract Law in Wisconsin
- Wisconsin Guide to Citation
- Wisconsin Civil Litigation Codebook
- New Wisconsin Family Code and related Statutes
- Wisconsin Real Estate and Real Property Codebook
- Wisconsin Pleading and Practice (funding provided by La Crosse County)
Where to find materials the library does not own:
- Wisconsin Statutes Annotated - Available in print at Western Technical College & UW-L Murphy Library. It is also available online.
- Wisconsin Jury Instructions: Civil, Criminal and Children’s - Civil and Criminal Jury Instructions in paper at Western Technical College. Select jury instructions can be ordered through the Wisconsin State Law Library. Wisconsin jury instructions are commercially published and not available online for free.
- LEXIS/NEXIS - Available for students at Western Technical College and UW-L Murphy Library.
WestlawNext (Ask a Reference staff member to log you in. Available only at Main to 2 users at a time.)
WestlawNext provides access to a large amount of legal information at both the state and federal levels, including full-text of legislation, administrative materials, judicial decisions, law reviews, and etc. It includes specialized databases that groups legal materials by practice. Some databases and resources are restricted for use because they are not included in the plan. Please ask a Reference Staff member if something is included with our subscription.
- Wisconsin - Under “Search for database” select “View Westlaw Directory.” This is divided into four main components:
- Journals and Law Reviews:
Journals and Law Reviews Pro includes all available law reviews and bar journals excluding ABA and Aspen Law and Business publications. Full coverage for most of these journals does not begin until 1994. Consult the directory to see what law reviews are included.
There are also a number of international law review journals available outside the “Journal and Law Reviews Pro” series.
To search law reviews for a specific jurisdiction such as Wisconsin, go to My Database >Journals and Law Reviews > Journals & Law Reviews by Jurisdiction > Wisconsin
Included in this directory are:
- Wisconsin Journals and Law Reviews (mega search)
- Journal of Law in Society, (full coverage begins with 2001 (vol. 2)
- Marquette Elder’s Advisor (full coverage begins with 2003 (vol. 5)
- Marquette Intellectual Property Law Review (full coverage begins with 1997, vol. 1)
- Marquette Law Review (full coverage begins with 1992 (vol. 76)
- Marquette Sports Law Review (full coverage begins with 1993 (vol. 4)
- Sports Lawyers Journal (full coverage begins with 1994)
- Wisconsin Environmental Law Journal (full coverage begins with 1994 and ends with 2002)
- Wisconsin International Law Journal (full coverage begins with 1995)
- Wisconsin Journal of Law, Gender and Society (full coverage begins with 1995)
- Wisconsin Law Review (selected coverage begins with 1981 and full coverage begins with 1985)
- Wisconsin Lawyer (selected coverage begins with 1983)
Narrow your search by looking at the directory of “Journals & Law Reviews by Title” if you want to find something very specific or to find out what the coverage is available on Westlaw. Other databases that are included are International U.S. Database and World JLR.
- Wisconsin Analytical Library
Wisconsin Forms – Full text of Wisconsin Civil Practice Forms, Wisconsin Legal Forms, and Wisconsin Pleading and Practice Forms. Coverage varies by source.
Within this category, forms are also broken down by subject:
- Business & Commercial
- Construction Law
- Elder Law
- Estate Planning and Probate
- Real Property
You will also find the Pleading and Practice forms within this folder. Pleading and Practice is an authoritative source covering WI civil practice from summons to final appeal, including a comprehensive collection of court-tested forms and practice pointers. You can also search Pleading and Practice independently from the consolidated folder. Construction Law, Family Law and Worker’s compensation all have individual folders to search.
You will also have access to the Wisconsin Practice series, written by local experts with a practical and informative survey of core legal topics in Wisconsin civil and criminal practice.
- Wisconsin PRO Plan databases includes sections on case law, statutes, court rules and orders, administrative code (2002-2010), attorney general opinions (begins 1977), Wisconsin insurance materials, and Wisconsin texts and periodicals.
- WestlawPRO Primary Law Library covers Federal materials, such as Supreme Court Justice databases, cases and judicial materials.
Local Online Resources
- City of La Crosse Municipal Code—Rules and regulations for residents of the City of La Crosse.
- La Crosse County Code of Ordinances—Rules and regulations for the County of La Crosse.
- La Crosse County Clerk of Courts—Offers La Crosse County residents information regarding circuit court rules and information, court officials, jury service, small claims, and traffic citations.
Wisconsin Online Resources
- Wisconsin State Bar FAQ—Maintained by the Wisconsin State Bar Association, and its mission is to educate citizens about the Wisconsin legal system. Find a lawyer, ask a legal question, and find informational pamphlets on specific legal topics.
- Wisconsin Statutes
- Wisconsin Adminstrative Code
- Wisconsin State Law Library—The Wisconsin Law Library has resources on statutory, administrative, and case law for federal, state and tribal jurisdictions.
Federal Online Resources
- U.S. Supreme Court—Current court opinions and details on how the court works. Past court opinions in Findlaw. Findlaw contains opinions from 1893 to current.
- Federal Courts Opinions—The Cornell University Law School maintains an opinion directory to the U.S. Court of Appeals, U.S. District and Bankruptcy Courts, and the U.S. Courts of Special Jurisdiction.
- Code of Federal Regulations—Codification of the general and permanent rules published in the Federal Register by the executive departments and agencies of the federal government.
- Federal Register—Official daily publication for rules, proposed rules, and notices of Federal agencies and organizations, as well as executive orders and other presidential documents.
- Executive Orders—Official documents through which the President of the United States manages the operations of the federal government.
- Wisconsin Real Estate Forms—Forms for "Residential Offer to Purchase," "Counter-Offer," "Amendment to offer to Purchase," etc.
- Wisconsin Circuit Court Forms—Standard, statewide forms are for all Wisconsin circuit courts for civil, criminal, family, guardianship, probate and small claims cases.
- Wisconsin Do it Yourself Divorce/Legal Separation Filing
- Wisconsin State Law Library—Legal & Government Forms -The Wisconsin State Law library provides a one-stop resource for locating legal forms in the State of Wisconsin.
- National Sex Offender Public Registry - U.S. Department of Justice site for public information regarding the presence or location of offenders, who, in the most cases, have been convicted of a sexually-violent offenses.
- Wisconsin Circuit Court Access - Access to public records of the circuit courts of Wisconsin.