Due to Gov. Evers "Safer At Home" order, all three locations of the La Crosse Public Library are closed to the public. During this time, all book drops will be closed. Patrons are encouraged to keep all materials until we reopen. Wi-Fi at all three locations will be available from 5:00 AM to 11:00 PM (there is no password, just accept terms and conditions). LPL staff are working remotely to provide our patrons with digital services, information, programs and resources that we hope you will find useful during this challenging time.
Although our buildings may be closed to the public, we are still here to serve the residents of La Crosse, in the following ways:
If you don’t have a library card, but would like to access our digital services, request an e-card today. If your library card is expired, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 608-789-7122 to update it. Please allow 24 hours for a response to your email questions.
Have a question? Ask a librarian! Email email@example.com, phone 608-789-7122 and E-Chat will be available Monday through Friday 10:00 AM -6:00 PM, Saturday and Sunday 1:00 PM- 5:00 PM.
See our Learn and Play page for links to activites and learning you can do with children during this time. Youth Services staff will be checking the department email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Online programs for children and adults can be found on our Facebook Events page.
Archives will be answering email questions at: email@example.com
The Library has a variety of digital resources for your enjoyment, including:
- OverDrive offers thousands of downloadable eBooks and audiobooks, available to anyone with a Winding Rivers Library System card*
- New to OverDrive? Check out the OverDrive Help Page to get started
- Hoopla offers City of La Crosse residents, with a valid library card the ability to stream thousands of movies and television shows, eBooks, audiobooks, comics or music.
- New to Hoopla? Check out the Hoopla Help Page to get started
- Kanopy offers City of La Crosse residents, with a valid library card the ability to stream over 30,000 film titles, including the Criterion Collection, foreign and art films, documentaries and The Great Courses.
- New to Kanopy? Check out the Kanopy Help Page to get started
*In addition to your Winding Rivers Library System card, you'll also need your 4-digit pin number to access digital resources. Your pin number is often the last four digits of your telephone number, unless you selected a custom pin. Forgot your pin? Click here to reset your pin number.
Our youth services staff will be offering live storytimes via our social media page. We also have a variety of digital resources specifically for children, including:
- OverDrive Kids offers thousands of great books for young readers
- TumbleBooks offers children’s stories from around the world including picture books and chapter books, accompanied by educational games and activities
- Wisconsin Media Lab offers multimedia educational content including Bill Nye the Science Guy episodes, online activities and more!
How has COVID-19 affected you?
The La Crosse Public Library Archives is looking for community members to share their stories to add to our local historical record. The ongoing public health crisis due to the spread of COVID-19 impacts La Crossians as much as the rest of the world. How has your daily life changed? What precautions are you taking? How are you coping? This survey is meant to act as a journal entry. We invite you to use it cathartically, or for documentation purposes; it is up to you. You do not have to identify yourself, it can be completely anonymous if you would like. Thank you for contributing to our local history.
Survey link: https://forms.gle/uodbs2ZzrGdp38yf
Bill Pay / Energy Assistance
- Wisconsin officials have launched an “emergency internet” tool to help people find free broadband service during the coronavirus health emergency.
- La Crosse School District will offer a free food service program during the school closures: http://bit.ly/393pBQ4
- Wafer Food Pantry: https://waferlacrosse.org/covid-19/
- Frequently asked questions about the COVID-19 Coronavirus and Wisconsin Unemployment Benefits: https://dwd.wisconsin.gov/covid19/public/ui.htm
- To apply for Unemployment Insurance benefits: https://dwd.wisconsin.gov/ui/
- To contact the La Crosse Job Center directly, call: 608-789-5627
Ways to Help
- Consider donating to the La Crosse Area Emergency Response Fund to support our community: https://www.laxcommfoundation.com/la-crosse-area-emergency-response-fund/
- Coulee Region COVID-19 volunteer opportunities: https://www.ugetconnected.org/need/
COVID-19 INFORMATION & RESOURCES
World Health Organization
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Wisconsin COVID-19 Coronavirus Information
Wisconsin Department of Health Services
Wisconsin Hospital Association Information Center
La Crosse County Health Department
City of La Crosse
What You Can Do to be Proactive:
In addition to staying home, the CDC recommends the following practices to decrease the spread of the virus:
- Wash hands frequently with soap and water for at least 20 seconds
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth with unwashed hands
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick
- Clean and disinfect objects and surfaces frequently
- Cover your mouth and nose when you cough or sneeze