WestlawNext (Ask a Reference staff member to log you in. Available only at Main to 2 users at a time.)
WestlawNext provides access to a large amount of legal information at both the state and federal levels, including full-text of legislation, administrative materials, judicial decisions, law reviews, and etc. It includes specialized databases that groups legal materials by practice. Some databases and resources are restricted for use because they are not included in the plan. Please ask a Reference Staff member if something is included with our subscription.
- Wisconsin - Under “Search for database” select “View Westlaw Directory.” This is divided into four main components:
- Journals and Law Reviews:
Journals and Law Reviews Pro includes all available law reviews and bar journals excluding ABA and Aspen Law and Business publications. Full coverage for most of these journals does not begin until 1994. Consult the directory to see what law reviews are included.
There are also a number of international law review journals available outside the “Journal and Law Reviews Pro” series.
To search law reviews for a specific jurisdiction such as Wisconsin, go to My Database >Journals and Law Reviews > Journals & Law Reviews by Jurisdiction > Wisconsin
Included in this directory are:
- Wisconsin Journals and Law Reviews (mega search)
- Journal of Law in Society, (full coverage begins with 2001 (vol. 2)
- Marquette Elder’s Advisor (full coverage begins with 2003 (vol. 5)
- Marquette Intellectual Property Law Review (full coverage begins with 1997, vol. 1)
- Marquette Law Review (full coverage begins with 1992 (vol. 76)
- Marquette Sports Law Review (full coverage begins with 1993 (vol. 4)
- Sports Lawyers Journal (full coverage begins with 1994)
- Wisconsin Environmental Law Journal (full coverage begins with 1994 and ends with 2002)
- Wisconsin International Law Journal (full coverage begins with 1995)
- Wisconsin Journal of Law, Gender and Society (full coverage begins with 1995)
- Wisconsin Law Review (selected coverage begins with 1981 and full coverage begins with 1985)
- Wisconsin Lawyer (selected coverage begins with 1983)
Narrow your search by looking at the directory of “Journals & Law Reviews by Title” if you want to find something very specific or to find out what the coverage is available on Westlaw. Other databases that are included are International U.S. Database and World JLR.
- Wisconsin Analytical Library
Wisconsin Forms – Full text of Wisconsin Civil Practice Forms, Wisconsin Legal Forms, and Wisconsin Pleading and Practice Forms. Coverage varies by source.
Within this category, forms are also broken down by subject:
- Business & Commercial
- Construction Law
- Elder Law
- Estate Planning and Probate
- Real Property
You will also find the Pleading and Practice forms within this folder. Pleading and Practice is an authoritative source covering WI civil practice from summons to final appeal, including a comprehensive collection of court-tested forms and practice pointers. You can also search Pleading and Practice independently from the consolidated folder. Construction Law, Family Law and Worker’s compensation all have individual folders to search.
You will also have access to the Wisconsin Practice series, written by local experts with a practical and informative survey of core legal topics in Wisconsin civil and criminal practice.
- Wisconsin PRO Plan databases includes sections on case law, statutes, court rules and orders, administrative code (2002-2010), attorney general opinions (begins 1977), Wisconsin insurance materials, and Wisconsin texts and periodicals.
- WestlawPRO Primary Law Library covers Federal materials, such as Supreme Court Justice databases, cases and judicial materials.