You are here
Users are responsible for understanding and interpreting the materials. While library staff will help you navigate the resources, they cannot give legal advice or opinions.
Lawyer in the Library
The La Crosse Public Library is partnering with Legal Action of Wisconsin, Inc. to offer “Lawyer in the Library,” a free hour-long consultation with an attorney on civil legal matters.*
Lawyer in the Library takes place on the third Thursday of the month from 10am – 2pm beginning July 21 at the Main Library (800 Main Street).
Note: We are currently booked for appointments at the library through December; please call Legal Action of Wisconsin directly if you need immediate assistance: 608-785-2809, or contact the library if you'd like to be added to our waitlist: 608-789-7122; firstname.lastname@example.org
Civil Legal Matters*
Legal Action of Wisconsin, Inc. is the state’s largest non-profit law firm providing free civil legal services to Wisconsinites, primarily within the following areas of law:
- Consumer Issues: bankruptcy, debt collection, garnishments
- Employment Barriers: discrimination, expungement of records
- Family law: custody, divorce, child support, restraining orders
- Housing: public housing, evictions, foreclosure, landlord-tenant issues
- Public Benefits: FoodShare, Social Security, Disability Income, BadgerCare and medical assistance
- If your civil legal matter is not on the list above, Legal Action of Wisconsin can still meet with you to discuss your legal matter and refer you to other agencies when appropriate.
- Lawyer in the Library is unable to assist with criminal legal matters.