Law and Legal Resources Guide
List of resources available at La Crosse Public Library and online for law and legal research and help. Some items do need to be retrieved by staff, so just ask at the second floor desk!
Lawyer in the Library
The La Crosse Public Library is partnering with Legal Action of Wisconsin, Inc. to offer “Lawyer in the Library,” a free hour-long consultation with an attorney on civil legal matters.*
Lawyer in the Library takes place on the third Thursday of the month from 10am – 2pm at the Main Library (800 Main Street).
Contact the library if you'd like to request an appointment: 608-789-7122; firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: Please call Legal Action of Wisconsin directly if you need immediate assistance: 608-785-2809.
Legal Action of Wisconsin, Inc. is the state’s largest non-profit law firm providing free civil legal services to Wisconsinites, primarily within the following areas of law:
- Consumer Issues: bankruptcy, debt collection, garnishments
- Employment Barriers: discrimination, expungement of records
- Family law: custody, divorce, child support, restraining orders
- Housing: public housing, evictions, foreclosure, landlord-tenant issues
- Public Benefits: FoodShare, Social Security, Disability Income, BadgerCare and medical assistance
- If your civil legal matter is not on the list above, Legal Action of Wisconsin can still meet with you to discuss your legal matter and refer you to other agencies when appropriate.
- Lawyer in the Library is unable to assist with criminal legal matters.
Online Legal Resources
Wisconsin Digital Archives
Since 2001, the Wisconsin Digital Archives has been compiling electronic state documents online.
The La Crosse Public Library has been a regional depository for Wisconsin Documents since 1974. All Wisconsin Documents are in the library catalog searchable by title, subject, and keyword. Wisconsin Documents call numbers all start with WIS.
Wisconsin Voter Search
Access your voter information, register to vote, and much more with Wisconsin Voter Search.
Tax Forms, Online Filing, and Where Is My Refund?
All three La Crosse libraries receive a limited number of paper Federal and Wisconsin tax forms. Tax forms, including previous years, are available to print from the following websites:
- IRS (Federal) Tax Forms & Publications
- Wisconsin Tax Forms
- Minnesota Tax Forms
- Tax Forms for Other States
Online Filing (e-file)
Library staff cannot recommend particular online filing services, type or fill out forms, or offer tax advice.
Where's My Refund?
Tax Forms by Mail or Phone
You can order many federal tax forms and publications at the IRS website. Or you may request tax forms by calling 800-829-3676 or write to the following address: Internal Revenue Service, 1201 N. Mitsubishi Motorway, Bloomington, IL 61705-6613. You should receive a response within 10 days after your request is received.
You can request forms by writing to: Wisconsin Department of Revenue, 2135 Rimrock Road, Mail Stop 5-77, PO Box 8949, Madison, WI 53708-8949. You can also call 608-266-1961.