Friends of the Library
Friends encourage the use of the Library as a center for the educational and cultural life of the community, by emphasizing the following goals:
- To foster closer relations between the library and the citizens of La Crosse by focusing public attention on library services, facilities, resources and needs.
- To assist in making funds available for special needs beyond the library budget.
- To influence the gifts of books and other materials, desirable collections, endowments, and bequests to the library through ways approved by the La Crosse Library Board of Trustees.
- To encourage participation of volunteers in all the activities that meet the needs of the library.
Download our brochure and become a member!
To contact the Friends, call the First Floor Book Shop: 608-789-7149.
Activities of the Friends
The Friends' board meets ten times a year to maintain and execute the established goals, providing for the needs of the La Crosse Public LIbrary in the future. Activities of the Friends include:
- Book sales featuring a wide variety of items and formats for members and the public are held regularly and listed on the events calendar. Volunteers are essential to these popular sales. Stop in the Bookshop, or call to volunteer: 608-789-7149.
- The Bookshop is located at the south entrance of the Main library and provides for the ongoing sale of quality donated materials including books, audiobooks, DVDs, music, and more! The Friends also have a small selection at the North and South branches of the library.
- Funding for non-budgeted library needs such as equipment, materials, library programs, and staff development.
- Hospitality needs for Friends' meetings, library functions and staff events.
- Furniture and space needs like the library's new tot spots!
The Friends support numerous programs including:
- Children's programming from storytimes to author visits to magicians
- Programming for adults
- Summer Library Events
- Outreach services
- Community wide events
Help us support the great activities at the library by becoming a member today!
Basement Book Sales
Come join us Monday mornings from 9:00am-12:00pm for the Friends of the La Crosse Public Library book sale in the lower level book room.
Friday, July 28, we will host a members only sale from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m.
Saturday,July 29, a community sale for all will be held from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
All items $1.00 or less with all proceeds going to support the La Crosse Public Library.
The Friends of the La Crosse Public Library 1st floor Bookstore will be open:
Mon, Tues, Thurs, and Fri from 10am - 4pm
Wed from 12-6,
Saturday 9-1 and Sundays 2-4.
Volunteers in the Bookshop sell materials and provide a welcoming presence. If you are interested in being a Bookshop volunteer, inquire in the Bookshop for an application form!
The library welcomes donations of gently used books and other select materials to be sold at our Friends of the Library Book sales. Please review our donation form for donating used items before bringing materials in. We cannot accept materials that are moldy, damaged, dirty, or in a condition that would present a health risk to staff and volunteers.