Lawyer in the Library
Program Type:Social Issues
The La Crosse Public Library is partnering with Legal Action of Wisconsin, Inc. to offer a free hour-long consultation with an attorney on civil legal matters.*
Eligibility: Before scheduling an appointment, please review Legal Action of Wisconsin's suggested income guidelines to determine your eligibility.
*Civil Legal Matters
Legal Action of Wisconsin, Inc. is the state’s largest non-profit law firm providing free civil legal services to Wisconsinites, primarily within the following areas of law:
- Consumer Issues: bankruptcy, debt collection, garnishments
- Employment Barriers: discrimination, expungement of records
- Family law: custody, divorce, child support, restraining orders
- Housing: public housing, evictions, foreclosure, landlord-tenant issues
- Public Benefits: FoodShare, Social Security, Disability Income, BadgerCare and medical assistance
- If your civil legal matter is not on the list above, Legal Action of Wisconsin can still meet with you to discuss your legal matter and refer you to other agencies when appropriate.
Please note: Lawyer in the Library is unable to assist with criminal legal matters.